Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Beginning

Had you known me as a child you would have never known that it would be me who would grow up to be a superhero. As a child I had debilitating migraines. My parents often thought I was just faking to get out of school. It wasn't until a doctor watched me have a migraine attack at a restaurant and informed my parents that I was probably in very serious pain that they believed me.

First doctors gave me drugs which helped. At least until the migraines got worse. Then it got to the point where even being constantly medicated was not enough. That's when I got my first CAT scan and found out that I am a little more than different.

The doctors informed my parents that I had an abnormal growth in my brain. However, unlike a tumor, it seemed to be integrated into my brain. It seemed to have neural activity and blood flow as if it were supposed to be a natural part of my brain. It appeared to be similar to my visual cortex which explained why I always saw bright lights and colors when I had my migraine attacks. And they told me there was nothing that could be done.

Fortunately for me my parents would not give up on me. Since western medicine did not have an answer they started looking at other options. Accupressure was a much needed relief but it was not a solution.

It wasn't until someone suggested mediation to me that I found relief. When I was 16 another patient at my acupuncturist suggested a Kung Fu class which I thought would be cool even if it didn't help the migraines. I quickly found that the meditation before and after practice really made a difference. The migraines lessened about as fast as I progressed physically.

Everything changed after my first competition. I went home to relax and meditate and something unexpected happened. As I cleared my mind I became aware of my surroundings. My eyes were closed, but I could see all around me. It was as if I was looking down from the ceiling at myself. That's when I remembered that my doctor said that my brain growth looked like a second visual cortex.